Education Software Scam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sforippedoff

PostPosted: 27 Oct 08 13:46
Post subject: Education Software Scam
Organisation name: Future 4 Kids
Issue type: Complaint

I want to make people out there aware of a company called Future 4 Kids Pty Ltd.

The more I learn about the company the more sick it makes me feel.

I completed a free competition entry to win a home entertainment package worth $10,000.

Three weeks later, I was telemarketed and was told that I won second prize, a free assessment in Maths and English for my kids worth $185, all I had to do was book a time for one of their educational consultants to come around to me house.

Now that I've checked their website, I can see that the competition isn't even drawn until 6th July 2009, so I assume everyone who enters and answers the question on the form about having kids 'wins second prize'.

The Education Consultant was a fat arrogant man driving a brand new BMW who smelt of alcohol and was clearly not well educated himself.

My kids failed the Maths and English assessment, however after speaking to other people who have been ripped off by this company, the assessments are designed so that most children fail.

Needless to say after 3 hours of high pressure sales, we were sucked into buying this $8000 crap software on 24% interest finance. I have now read online of people warning against this software called CAMI that comes from South Africa. It is not compliant with the Australian schools system, and I am now told this software is only worth a couple of hundred dollars at best. I have since found better education software online that is either free or costs very little.

Sadly I was pressured into signing a legally binding contract that I cannot get out of now, they refuse to let me out of it under any circumstance. I have complained to consumer affairs who say they get complaints about this company all the time, but nobody seems to be able to stop them. I believe they have very good lawyers who keep allowing them to find loop holes so they can keep getting away with scamming people.

I have since learned that the company is run by people who were involved with the FAI Home Security network and were personally trained by Brad Cooper who is now in prison for committing fraud.
Danny_b

PostPosted: 27 Oct 08 16:16
Organisation name: n/a
Issue type: Comment

I believe the contract should be regulated under the UCCC (it does not apply where the interest rate is over 24%). There might be a few technicalities they have breached. Did they allow you time to read through the contract prior to signing it?

To find out more, google UCCC (Uniform Consumer Credit Code).

I may just be clutching at straws, but worth a try.
photosamsophie

PostPosted: 28 Oct 08 11:37
Organisation name: Not Applicable

Isn't there a 'cooling off' period for these types of sales?
lea77y

PostPosted: 28 Oct 08 20:59

I have been contacted by this company as well after entering a competiton at the local show. They where quite persistant and wanted to come around to test my son and in the end I basically had to hang up on them. If I want to know how my son is going I would ask his teacher.

Cant belive how expensive the program they made you sign up for was.
tweettee

PostPosted: 29 Oct 08 08:22

$8000 would buy a lot of one on one tutoring by a registered teacher. Sorry you have been ripped off. Have you contacted a solicitor. Maybe a letter fired off threatening legal action will get you off the hook. Often these types of scammers rely on people not taking the matter further and don't really want to have matters heard in court. Its worth trying to bluff them.
nearly ripped

PostPosted: 18 Dec 09 09:20

Hi i am a young mum of 2 and was in shopping when asked about my kids future with education and since i just got my daughters report card i thought yeah y not
it a free competion and i could win her a helping hand with her school work as she is lacking in maths and english a bit so i entered
then got a phone call to say she qulifyed for an assesment i was stoked then they made a time to come talk to us all........
then 2 hurs later was told it was 8 grnd with a interest rate of 23.9% we filled out all paperwork but my partner could not find his wallet so it has not been passed thru yet.....
so it gave me time to research it bit more so i jumped on face book told all my friend and one of them told me to come to this site and wow i am so glad i did as it is not true at all it is a scam and i can not believe the government lets these people pray on parents who want the best for their kids education.......
I am shocked and disgusted that these sort of scams are happening and the government is not doing a damn thing these people need to be stopped....
As my family and i are not wealthy at all and well 14 grand in the long run is just obsurd...
I am so so glad my partner could not find his wallett maybe god is looking out for us and that was a sign....
well i am going to take it like that anyway so please i hope no one else gets sucked in to this scam it is wrong......
And not even Australian how tottally wrong i can not believe it really but that is the world we live in now hey it is wrong eusa_naughty.gif
SWK

PostPosted: 12 Jan 10 13:47

I have three kids in high school and I bought the CAMI package. There are rules that the company insists on and we have complied with those rules, like monthly reports to prove that the kids are using the package. They seem to have enjoyed the experience, I have supervised the usage and in my opinion they have improved their maths and english skills. There is also a backup service that we used a lot in the beginning and the people that staffed the phones were competent and courteous. But I do commiserate with you that have bought the package and found it to be less than you expected. I paid $6990 cash and this year received 50% back from my tax. (educational expenses rule) and next year will probably recover the other 50%, according to my accountant. I do agree that the software is overpriced, but the package includes an unlimited backup and help service.
steson

PostPosted: 09 Mar 10 11:32
Organisation name: Education Software Scam

I am interested in purchasing CAMI through National Learning Group. The product looks really great and it would suit all three of my children. Yes it is expensive and I have looked in to the cost of one of one tutoring and belive that it is more cost effective to buy CAMI. I have not committed as yet, but would like to hear from people currently using the product.

I would also like to add that they have a 12 month guarentee or your money back.
rudolfl

PostPosted: 17 Mar 10 15:25

Geez! When will people learn? DO NOT BUY ON IMPULSE! SLEEP ON IT! MAKE DECISION NEXT DAY!

Sorry to shout. I had that experience too. Told them to leave me their details and I will think of it. When pressured for answer right there I told "If you want an answer now it is NO. When I think about it I may decide otherwise". This is what we all should do. All those presentation are DESIGNED to make you buy on impulse.

I do feel sorry for you, but it is YOUR FAULT for buying it without checking it out first. Yes, company is not ethical, but they are legal, I believe.

Just my 2.2 cents. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Rudolf
madpossum

PostPosted: 04 Jul 10 15:23
Organisation name: CAMI

In 2008, in a moment of weakness while in Perth, I purchased the CAMI program through a firm called the Australian Institute of Education WA (AIEWA). I foolishly signed up for the very expensive package, through a leasing agreement, after a salesperson spent hours selling me the program. I was initially called and offered a free assessment, The assessment didn't come until about 3 hours into the pitch. After a few weeks I became concerned when the program was not as good as I'd thought and I realised it was not value for money. So I made a complaint. The lease agreement was with a firm called Educational Finance (EduFin) also in Perth. After they all became unhelpful, dismissive, rude and offensive, and I'd returned everything, I made a complaint to the WA Department of Consumer Protection. I was prepared to let them take it all the way, as apparently there were others who had made complaints. The fact is you cannot "lease" a service, so the financial agreement was null and void. They'd made a number of errors simply in the processes of signing me up. I got all my money back thanks the the great legal help in the department. But I was always prepared to come back to Perth if it went to court. Still am! A poper complaint is free. So I recommend: 1) don't sign up; or 2) if you have, take it to the relevant state department such as Fair Trading etc. These guys have to be shut down.
OzCanuck

PostPosted: 19 Jul 10 16:16
Organisation name: CAMI

@ madpossum: can you provide any paperwork about the "service" being null & void? I'd love to hear it, as we were sucked in here in Qld too. Also, couldn't they just say that you're paying for the software package, which is a product?
thanks
Irishjim

PostPosted: 09 Aug 10 13:35
Organisation name: Australian Institute of Education

My wife and I got hammered by a sales person last April for the CAMI package. the total amount we'll end up spending is $12739.

I read a newspaper article on it Queensland a few months ago and since then have been reading up on CAMI and the Australian Institute of Education and quickly came to the conclusion that we have been completely ripped off by this company. At first I was going to take my lumps, pay out my contract and forget about it, but the more I read about people getting suckered the angrier I got and I've contacted the WA Department of Commerce to make a complaint and hopefully get my money back and I encourage everyone who has been hustled by these buggers to do the same thing.

The pitch the guy gives on the Shutting the Gates doco is identical to what we got.

Speaking to the Department of Commerce counsellor there are a lot of dodgy processes these people use to get you to sign on the spot which can be used to force them to back down and cancel the contract.

Don't hesitate to complain, the more people that fight them, the greater chance there is they'll shut down.
dajnko

PostPosted: 12 Sep 10 20:26
Organisation name: cami maths

madpossum
could you please send me some info on your cami fight and the lease part of things it would help me so much as iam right in the middle of fighting them
regard dajnko
Irishjim

PostPosted: 13 Sep 10 21:01
Organisation name: Australian Institute of Education

Well it's all gone pear shaped now.

The Consumer Protection people phoned me back and basically said sorry, nothing we can do, you're stuck paying $18000 to these damn people at the Australian Institute of Education.

They told me I could take it up with the magistrates court. It was a pretty and short and unhelpful conversation after the first lady I spoke to who encouraged me to make a complaint was so helpful.

In response to people saying, just sleep on it and not to make impulse decisions, I suggest watching this doco at http://(DELETED) The pitch in that video is exactly what we got. We've had people come out to the house before about water purifiers, security systems, educations savings accounts and magically mortgage deals, karate lessons, all doing the dining room table sale and I've sent them all away empty handed. But the AIE people absolutely hustled us. She deliberately came late at night and guilted and manipulated us into the package by basically scaring us into it under the belief that are children were set up to fail without intensive maths tutoring.

They told us there was a ten day cooling of period, of course it was longer than ten days for us to discover the software was garbage, and they failed to tell us that by law day to day sales are subject to six months cooling of periods as well.

I'm debating (note diplomatic use of language) with my wife over whether or not we should go to the Magistrates court about the whole thing, I want to because a) I want my money back and b) I want people to know they can do something about this.
Thing

PostPosted: 14 Sep 10 07:50
Issue type: Complaint

For that amount of $$$$ I would definitely be going to the Mag court.

Contact someone at the Mag court and ask about small claims tribunal, I remember studying SCT at Uni you can apply for a relief from payment which maybe fit your situation, if not then it would be contract law...
DiggTechnoratiFacebookDel.icio.usStumbleUponMy Space
Go to page: 1, 2, 3  [Next >>]
Jump to: